So HUTH, Homes Under The Hammer, is a fabulous (err) morning show about ordinary people with some spare calibash buying houses at auction. The houses are at auction as they’re usually hovels. It’s your classic before and after project.
Cue over budgeting, disappointment, dry rot, planning permission woes and DIY.
Now, music selection for this show is usually based on some kind of characteristic or logistical feature about the house.
Example: Dilapidated shit hole by the sea will have Morcheeba’s ‘The Sea’. So on and so forth.
Usually the music is utter cack, but today it’s fairly deece. So far we’ve had Morcheeba, Blur, Belle and Sebastian, Queen among others.
Things I like about this show:
1. Before and after aspect
2. Hapless eejits that buy a house usually riddled with dry rot, shout about knocking down partition walls and chat about how they used to work in IT
3. There’s an auctioneer whose motto clearly is ‘pinstripe till I die’
4. Martin and Lucy- most positive presenters ever, Lucy in particular. She could make Elmo look like a manic depressive.
Things I dislike:
1. It’s on in the morning
2. I usually work then
Watch it if you like ‘transformation’ programmes, building things, knocking down things, not doing anything productive between the hours of 10 and 11.
Because I was probably too drunk to remember/make any NY resolutions, I’m making some mid year ones. You know, to stave off the fear of having done NOTHING productive or inspiring in the past 6 months.
1. Swear less
2. Listen more
3. Write the perfect CV
4. Escape retail (See above)
5. Worry less (Ha)
6. Procrastinate less (sorry, what am I really supposed to be doing now? Job application you say?)
7. Get out more
8. Do something I really want to do
There are probably more things to pop on this list. I just need to put number 6 into practice and actually get on with what I’m supposed to do.